I’m having a dilemma. Should I run the Woodminster Cross Country Race on June 17th or not? Here are the pros and cons:
– Complete the East Bay Triple Crown series. This may be the one and only year I’ll do all 3 races.
– Cheap and easy logistically: it’s very affordable at $22 and it’s close by at Joaquin Miller Regional Park.
– I’m interested in running in Joaquin Miller/Redwood again, just to see if this time goes better than the Cinderella 10K.
– Race recap/research. There’s a dearth of information about this race online — I’d view this as a public service to run the race and recap it for future racers.
– Yet another training exercise in suffering = bank it towards marathon training.
– There’s a brunch afterwards celebrating the end of the East Bay Triple Crown.
– The Cinderella 10K was already pretty brutal, so I can only imagine how tough 9 miles will be. (Though, to be fair, I did fall halfway through the Cinderella 10K.)
– Lack of running buddies. The Gypsy Runner is definitely skipping this one, and I haven’t heard of anyone else running it.
– I’m a little burnt out on races… but I’m planning on taking a long break anyway, so maybe I’ll just tough it out and run one more?
– I’m currently in last place in the Triple Crown standings, and there’s little hope of me moving up in the ranks. Supposedly, this is the toughest race of the series.
So, my thinking is that if I run it, I’ll probably go out and do my best (as usual), but also not push myself too hard. I know it’s a tough trail race, so I’d look at it as another learning experience.