I just realized today is the end of March, which means a quarter of 2013 is dunzo. So, hold on to your hats — it’s time for a weekly recap plus my first ever quarterly recap in one post!
Mon: REST. My legs felt really good after the Oakland Half Marathon. I took that to mean that: (A) I’m getting better at recovering after hard efforts, or (B) I didn’t run hard enough to warrant more soreness. I’ll take option A.
Tues: REST (unintentional). I planned on a short recovery run in the morning, but had a horrible night’s sleep. No biggie – I rescheduled to the afternoon, only to be hit with one of those days where I really needed both a mental and physical vacation. Then I gorged on Korean food. Nothing feeds the soul like dinner with friends and some bibimbap.
Wed: After an almost 2 week hiatus from rock climbing, I didn’t have high hopes for this session. Happily, I was proven wrong. Not only did I finally score a semi-permanent belay card (which authorizes me to belay without re-testing), but I also bouldered 3 V0’s and top-roped a 5.3 and a 5.9. I realize that this probably doesn’t mean very much to most of you, but trust me — it was a big deal, OK? 😉
Stats: 90 min rock climbing
Thurs: Easy run without my Garmin. Felt kinda gross, but it was probably because I had a very late dinner the night before. Note to self: pizza and soda at 10:00 pm before an 8:00 am run is not a winning combination.
Stats: 4 miles @ 10:30/mile + 30 min stretching/rolling
Fri: 30 min stretching/rolling.
Sat: I had no plan for this run, except to run at least once around the lake, twice if I was feeling good, and 3 times if I was feeling great. After the second lap, I was feeling pretty strong, but with the prospect of a hilly trail run on Sunday morning, I decided to finish the run and save my legs.
I decided to run by feel, and the result was a very moderate progression run. I thought it was really cool that this happened unintentionally. My splits:
1 – 10:23
2 – 10:22
3 – 10:23 (the consistency is eery)
4 – 10:17
5 – 9:58
6 – 9:58
0.75 – 9:37
Stats: 6.75 miles @ 10:08/mile + 30 min stretching/rolling
Sun: Trail run with KP, DD, and AL at Briones Reservoir, aka my new favorite running place. We got lucky and caught a break in the stormy weather. The trail was beautiful and challenging, just like I remembered. We also had a great time chatting the whole way. What a wonderful way to start the day!
Stats: 6.5 miles @ 12:36/mile + 30 min stretching/rolling
WEEKLY TOTAL: 17.25 miles + 3.5 hours climbing/PT/stretching
How I felt about it: Pretty low mileage and no core or strengthening work, but I’m giving myself some slack for an unofficial “off” week post Oakland Half. C
And last but not least, the quarterly recap! I just wanted to revisit some of my 2013 goals and report on how I’ve been doing:
– Run 1000 miles in 2013: I’m on track! According to Daily Mile, I’ve run 260 miles this year. That’s 10 miles above the 250 quarterly average that I need to maintain to get to 1000. (See how I did that? Behold the powers of arithmetic!) On a positive note, I ran 103 miles in March, which is my highest non-marathon monthly mileage to date. Woohoo!
– Volunteer at a race/races: I haven’t volunteered at any races yet, but I think my time with RBO has more than made up for that goal.
– Run a 2nd marathon: Well, I signed up for MCM, and that seems to be the hardest part nowadays.
– Run a 30K trail race: I signed up for the Skirt n’ Dirt 25K in August. I think the 3000+ feet elevation gain makes up for the fact that it’s 5K short of a 30K, don’t you?
– Get back to reviewing gear: Still lagging on this. And there are so many I want to write too! I just need to make this happen.