I wish I could say that I was 100% over my head cold, but alas, I’m not. Every time I feel like I’m getting better, I wake up feeling super lethargic and congested again. I’ve had a sinus headache for the past 2 days. Whomp whomp.
As a result, I’ve only managed to run about 15 miles in the past 2 weeks.
On one hand, I said I wanted to take a break from training after Summer Breeze.
On the other hand, I would like to maintain some semblance of base training going into CIM training.
On the other other hand, training while sick and run-down is pretty counterproductive.
On the other other other hand, not running is driving me a little stir-crazy. (And making my pants a bit snug, to be honest.)
These are the things I keep telling myself:
- Try to be patient. I need to let myself get better.
- My fitness will still be here when I’m back to 100%. Or if not, it won’t take long for me to get back.
- Try to be flexible. Short, very slow runs and easy aerobic training at the gym are still beneficial. Something is better than nothing. And too much exertion could make this cold last longer.
- I still have 15 weeks until CIM. Plenty of time!
- It could be worse. I could have a running-related injury instead of something that will pass eventually (if a bit slowly for my taste).
So, a question for you all: what do you tell yourself when you’re dealing with a lingering illness that’s interfering with your running?
Race discount code! The organizers of the inaugural Hip Hop Run reached out to me to see if I could help promote their race. It’s a 5k and 10K on Saturday, September 24th in San Jose that benefits two charities: Make-a-Wish and Loaves & Fishes. There’s also a “5K challenge” race, but I couldn’t find any information about it. After the race, there’s a hip hop concert at the finish line that sounds pretty fun.
From their website: “All race options include entry to the event, musical festival, race shirt, custom race medal, and event swag bag. Spectator pass will grant entry into San Jose Municipal Stadium where the main stage performers will be.”
You can get 10% off registration with code jensrunningblog.